I am Assistant Professor of Geographic Information Science (GIScience) at the Department of Geography, Environmental, and Society at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. I teach Digital Earth, advanced GIS, spatiotemporal analysis and modeling, and advanced geographic visualization courses.
My research interests mainly involve developing spatiotemporal analytics, modeling, and visualization techniques to study and understand movement. Our ability to understand movement and its relationship to the environment has major implications for the study of critical societal problems such as the spread of disease, human-wildlife conicts, environmental change, natural hazards, and global migration. My research contributes to solving these important problems by advancing the knowledge and understanding of how movement patterns are formed in dynamic coupled natural and human systems. Through interdisciplinary research with a primary focus on Movement Ecology and Public Health applications, I aim at developing a broadly applicable analytical framework to unravel how movement patterns of individuals are driven by their behavior, their environment, and their interactions across multiple spatial and temporal scales.
Previously, I worked as Assistant Professor at the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs. Prior to that I completed two postdoctoral research projects on Computational Movement Analytics at the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geodetic Engineering, at The Ohio State University and the GIScience Center of the University of Zurich, Switzerland, where I completed my PhD studies in GIScience.
- Assistant Professor, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.
- Editorial Board of the Journal of Geographical Analysis, since 2018
- Editorial Board of the Journal of Spatial Information Science (JOSIS), since 2018
- Editorial Board of the UCGIS Geographic Information Science and Technology Body of Knowledge, 2016 – 2017.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS), 2014 – 2016.
- Geospatial Lab Director, UCCS, 2014 – 2016.
- Visiting Assistant Professor, UCCS, 2013 – 2014.
- Postdoc – Computational Movement Ecology, Department of Civil, Environmental and Geodetic Engineering, The Ohio State University, 2012-2013
- Postdoc – Computational Movement Analysis, University of Zurich, Switzerland, 2011-2012
- PhD (Dr. sc. nat.) – Geography with specialization in Geographic Information Science (GIScience), University of Zurich, Switzerland, 2011.
- MSc – Geographic Information Systems Engineering, K.N.Toosi University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, 2005.
- BSc – Geomatics Engineering, K.N.Toosi University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, 2003.
Somayeh Dodge, Ph.D. (she/her/hers)
Assistant Professor of Geographic Information Science
UMN Profile: https://z.umn.edu/sdodge
Department of Geography, Environment, and Society | University of Minnesota